"......Nevermore." The Personal Blog of Raven Garcia, East-London based philosopher and connoisseur of fine beers.

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Sweden Sour

It is Sunday and I am sitting in my house after just losing 8-5 to Dean at pool. He was winning 7-1 at one point, so I'd say i was able to salvage some pride at least. My mum and stepdad have gone to visit my stepdad's sister who has just moved house. So I am in the house all on my own.

I got a text in the week from the girls i used to work with, saying that they were going out on Friday and inviting me to come along. I decided to go as I had nothing else planned. So i got the tube over to Temple and walked the short distance to the Knight's Templar just behind the High Court. I arrived a bit early as the girls were not there, so I decided to walk up Carey Street and see if I would see them on thier way out. As I did I ran into John Hall, John Hughes and Richard Bracegirdle. Apparently Alex (Another of the RCJ security guards) was leaving that day and they were supposed to be going to the Blue Anchor for his leaving party. I had a brief chat with them and then I went back to the pub. John Hall tagged along and bought me a couple of beers and then left just as the girls arrived. Billy and John Bracegirdle were in there as well, along with Phil Cosgrove the union guy who helped me out when I almost lost my job before.

Caroline turned up with Angela, her friend who works at the RCJ. Caroline actually looked quite nice for a change. We had a few drinks and then went on to the function room above some poncy wine bar round the corner where it was somebody else's leaving party. All the receptionists were there and a few security guys as well. Sherrina got absolutely steaming drunk and started flirting with the DJ. She then smashed a glass and then made a spectacle of herself by dancing in a maniacal fashion in front of everybody. Kerry was her usual reserved self. I had my tie stolen by Tammy Jeffs and then used to mop up some beer, which I thought was considerate. Some elderly ladies wanted me to dance with them. I explained that I have about as much rhythm as a parsnip. As I left, Richard, John B, Billy and John Hughes were all just finishing thier night shift and were waiting for a cab to go home. I said hi to them and then got a bus to Liverpool Street, where I bought a delicious kebab from the Syrian kebab house opposite the Light Bar and then made my way home.

On Saturday I went to tescos to get something for my dinner, andstopped in Cash Converters on the way, where i managed to pick up the Peter Kay live at Bolton Town Hall DVD for 3 quid. Bargain. (Well, until i got it home and realised that it jumps like a flea on amphetamines and goes all blurry every now and again.) Nobody was up for doing anything - Will was in Cambridge at a strawberry fair, Jen was at her sister's wedding, Dean was skint and Alfie seemed to have vanished without a trace. However, Mikael phoned me up at the last minute and invited me to his friend's birthday party at a bar called The Big Chill in Pentonville Road. I decided to go along. Although I had to pay five pounds to get in, I was immediately plied with alcohol by Malin, Mikael's girlfriend. She bought me a pint of guinness and gave me two glasses of champagne, so i was £3.50 up before i'd even put my hand in my pocket. All of the Swedish contingent were there; Bjorn, Robert, Kristof, some guy called Simon and of course Mikael and Malin. Some girls started chatting to me - an italian girl called Gabriella, and a half-polish, half-malaysian girl called Lorraine. At the end of the night Malin fell asleep on the sofas and was asked to leave by the bouncers, so we all decided to call it a night. (This was at about half past three.) On the way to the bus stop Gabriella insisted that i take Lorraine's number, which I did because i was drunk, tired and hungry and thought it would get rid of them quicker. So i got the bus down to Angel, got a wrap from Dixie Chicken, and then made my way home via the 38 and then the 106.

No comments: