"......Nevermore." The Personal Blog of Raven Garcia, East-London based philosopher and connoisseur of fine beers.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Bank Holiday Blow-Out

It is Bank Holiday weekend. Which is great, if you’ve got money to do stuff. I haven’t – but I’ve just managed to get by this weekend although I had to borrow some money which I hate doing. But hey, it’s all for me grog. On Friday I went to the Dolphin in Mare Street with Dean. It was a pretty average night, although I am starting to believe Will when he says that Dean attracts trouble. Not to say for one second that he goes looking for trouble but it does seem to find him. This time it was in the form of some right ignorant dickhead (Obviously this is a slightly biased view) who was standing next to us at the back. I don’t actually know what he said that upset Dean but Dean wanted to knock him out. But like I mentioned before it was a pretty average night.

Last night I went to the new intrepid fox. For those of you who had never heard of the old one, it used to be in Wardour Street and was legendary for playing heavy metal. It was THE place to be if you were “Alternative”. I only went there once, with my then-girlfriend and her mates. But it closed down as it was bought by some businessman who wants to turn it into something other than a pub. Fucking killjoy. But the owners were undeterred; they used the money to buy another pub not too far away, and I am pleased to say that they have made it into a better place than the original. For starters it is in a much better location (Around the back of centre point and faces onto a quiet street with a church opposite, rather than sandwiched in between a sleazy sex shop and a Soho crack den.) The interior has retained much of it’s alternative atmosphere, and the music policy of course remains unchanged. It’s a lot bigger, and has two floors just like the old one did. Upstairs at the old Fox was very cramped and you actually had to queue for the bar as it was literally a window. Here we got seats at the bar; Myself, Will, and all four members of Toxicslut: Jenna, Sonia, Jo and Lee. It was a thoroughly enjoyable night. Lee immediately went off to check out the talent (He is like a wind-up doll; you just need to throw him into a pub and he will automatically find girls who are drinking on their own and engage them in conversation. – providing they appear to be under 18 years of age.) Jo had recently broken her wrist but has now had the cast removed. She was still having slight difficulty lifting pint glasses but she managed okay. We had a go at one of our favourite pub pastimes, the game called “In the Style Of.” Where one person picks a song and someone else chooses the style it has to be sung in. The best ones so far are Pure Morning by Placebo in the style of a sea chantey, and Motorhead’s Ace of Spades in the style of Dolly Parton. Hilarious!

The bar staff were all very friendly, apart from one girl who looked at me like I had just urinated on her doorstep. I asked her if she sued them – when she asked who I replied “the charm school.” Lee eventually got talking to an Italian girl and her Scottish friend until him and Sonia left a bit early. The rest of us left at chucking-out time – Jo got a black cab and Will, Jenna and I got the bus back to our respective abodes. Overall it was a very good night. I came home, watched Little Britain and ate a tin of mackerel before going to bed. Woke up this morning with an incredible hangover but dragged myself out of bed and cleaned the bathroom. My nan has just rung up to say that she found a receipt in the bottom of her shopping bag and the particular branch of Somerfields that my mum went to get her shopping was next to an Argos, which was just being erected when she started work around that area back in the early sixties. At least I can sleep tonight knowing that. (- I’m sure she phones sometimes for the sake of it) Never mind. It was her birthday yesterday and she got more cards than me. I have to go round on Tuesday and take her pension and cat chews round – so I’m sure I will hear the full story again.

No comments: