"......Nevermore." The Personal Blog of Raven Garcia, East-London based philosopher and connoisseur of fine beers.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Offside, Ref!



I have got a job.

My agency phoned me on Tuesday Afternoon as I was coming back from Tesco's and informed me that they had passed my details onto a company in south london and that they wanted me to start the very next day. Of course, I accepted the offer; looking on the website it seemed like Peckham would be quite difficult to get to without using the dreaded tube. There were a couple of bus routes which went there but it would mean changing at either Aldgate or Liverpool Street and going a bit out of my way. I decided to get the tube to Oval for the first day and see how it went; at least I would be able to ask around about bus routes when I got there. But I was too busy getting ready for Alfie's gig to worry too much about getting there. The gig went okay although there were not as many people as the first time. I actually thought Alfie played better, which was a shame as there were less people there to witness it. In fact, the entire audience consisted of friends of Alfie. Myself, Dean, Will, Wes, Jenna, Zoe and her friend turned up, along with my mum, stepdad and my mum's friend Neil. I was surprised that Russell (My Stepdad) turned up; it is not really his scene at all but he seemed to enjoy himself.

First day of work went fine. I like the place, people are all friendly and the job is not too demanding. But i don't like the area too much or the travelling. Central Line in the mornings is an absolute nightmare; luckily I only have to endure it for two stops. Northern line from Bank to Oval is actually okay; you are more or less guaranteed a seat as there are not many others on the train. Door to door takes about 25 - 30 minutes to get from my house to Oval. Then there is the bus ride which is full of chavs and high-school dickheads. This only takes about 12 minutes then there is a 5 minute walk to St. Giles Hospital, where I work.

Last night I went to Offside Bar on City Road - which as you can tell by the name is a very football-orientated bar. I met up with Mikael the Swedish Boris Johnson lookalike (pictured)
and his chums to watch Liverpool lose the champions league final. It was quite good although I only had enough for three pints. It was very hot in there and I had the idea of passing round these flyers that were next to the toilets for our group to use as fans. Mikael, being a Liverpool fan, was obviously gutted about the result but he took it rather well. I remember this time last year I was absolutely gutted when my beloved Arsenal lost to those Barcelona Bastards and was practically in tears on the streets of Cork. But i guess he would have been the same if Liverpool hadn't won the Champion's league two years before. Anyway, I am writing this on my lunch break which has just finished, so I better get back to work.

Peace out.

2 comments:

Dean Saliba said...

Back in the saddle!

Dean Saliba said...

I've just realised that Michael (Spell it properly when you're in this country!) looks like a Matt Lucas character in that picture!